A new poll suggests that blowhard, tight-fisted right -wing Councillor Rob Ford is well ahead in the mayoral race here in Toronto. This poll was done after it was revealed that Ford “forgot” he had been charged a decade ago in a DUI-related incident. It seems that Torontonians are looking to Ford as an antidote to a couple terms of David Miller as Mayor.
Yikes. I think Ford would make a disasterous Mayor. Unfortunately, with three candidates crowding the middle – Smitherman, Rossi and Thomson, Mr. Ford may well have a good chance of winning. Smitherman has been positioning the race as about two candidates, himself and Ford. I think he is doing this to marginalize his other opponents, thinking that if it were just he and Ford in the race, he would prevail.
In my view, a couple candidates have to drop out to ensure that Mr. Ford is not elected. It’s up to the three in the middle to get together and thrash it out. Will they? I’m not optimistic, but we’ll see. Of course there remains a little time for another candidate to emerge, but who knows if that’s going to happen.
- Who’s afraid of Rob Ford? (theglobeandmail.com)
- Rob Ford takes larger lead in Toronto mayoral race: poll (news.nationalpost.com)
- Latest poll puts Ford on top (cbc.ca)
- Rob Ford to Miami cop: ‘Take me to jail’ (cbc.ca)
- Mayoral candidates clash on immigration (thestar.com)
- Liberals scramble to help George Smitherman stop Rob Ford (thestar.com)
- Rob Ford: ‘Who do you trust?’ (thestar.com)
- Rocco Rossi questions Rob Ford’s judgment (newswire.ca)