This is a little paper jig I made to mark my drill holes on the neck and on the piece of maple I’m using as a dowel stick.
I created a the hole in the can with a slot-head screwdriver and a mallet. I cut an X within the measured rectangle and bent the 4 sides down. I’ve tested the hole size with a spare piece of maple and it is just right. I’m going to let my glue dry and start making some soup for dinner. Tomorrow, I’ll try to establish the right angle for the neck, make the tailpiece and complete the assembly. I picked up some light gauge steel banjo strings today, so once assembly is complete I can string it up. It may take a bit of trial and error to establish just the right neck angle. Because I’m using 1X2 as a dowel stick, I’ll be able to create two points of contact on the tail for added stability.