Someone found my blog by searching “had a bad reaction from eating chanterelles”, and I thought this deserved a comment.
Chanterelles are by all accounts one of the safest edible wild mushrooms. However, some people suffer allergic reactions to all wild mushrooms. My first question is on the identification. Are you sure you’ve picked what you think you’ve picked? Chanterelles are fairly distinctive but there are look-alikes. Be sure. If you’re 100% sure of your identification but you’ve never eaten a particular type of wild mushroom before, cook up a small sample, try it and wait and see if you have any adverse reactions. Better to test your reaction with a small amount than to have a big meal and pay dearly later. Finally, be sure to cook all wild mushrooms very well. I don’t eat any wild mushrooms raw. To start with, I may be able to identify a handful of wild mushrooms but that doesn’t mean I can identify everything those mushrooms have been exposed to. Also, certain mushrooms are safe well cooked but are sickeners raw